Unfortunately, due to the corporation tax extension deadline falling on Monday, I had go in to work Friday (I usually work 4 day weeks from April 15th-year end). I took Carter over to my grandma's while I worked and she took great care of him and didn't mind all of the yucky diaper changes. She also suspected this was just a teething thing. So on Saturday, I was beyond freaked out to get out of the house out of fear of a massive blowout in a store or something, but it was a gorgeous fall day out and I wanted to get out of the house. So Carter and I went to town and got some mums and fall decorations. He was such a good little guy and we somehow made it without a blowout. In fact, we made it all the way until Sunday until he went again and it was a normal poop so I thought we were well on the road to recovery.
But I should have known on Sunday morning when he actually went back to sleep with me and slept through when we normally go to church that something was up. We ended up going to late Mass (which begins at 10:30...when Carter is normally taking his first nap) and it was terrible. Carter would NOT be still and quiet for anything, so we ended up in the cry room for the second half of church. We will not be skipping early Mass ever again after how that turned out! Anyways, after that we went home and he got a little hour nap and we went to my little sister Raylee's birthday party. Carter was a little whiny and clingy, but pretty good for the most part. I just assumed he was tired because we had gotten so far off of schedule.
Monday morning is where things get really yucky. Things seemed normal, we were up and doing our usual (but totally crazy) morning routine. I had Carter in our bed giving him his 8 oz morning bottle. He drank most of it and I was picking out my outfit while he played. He started fussing...more so than a normal, "I'm bored" or "Hold me" kind of whine, so I sat down on the bed and cuddled him close. That's when it happened. Puke...everywhere. Seriously, all 8 oz came up with a vengeance and the both of us, plus the bed and the floor all got it. He was freaked out, as was I, and I just kept saying "It's going to be ok, it's going to be ok," more for me than him I think. So we took our first double bath in my big garden tub to get cleaned up. Little man was loving it, as he never uses our big tub and it was something new. He was happy and splashing around like nothing had happened.
So, I did what anyone would do and called my mom...who is also an RN. :) We decided that it must have just been drainage and that formula not settling well since he was fine before and afterwards. She talked to my grandma to see if she could come spend at least the morning with him to be sure he was okay and she was over in no time. I hated leaving little man, but I had tax returns due that day and had to get in to work. I really felt like he was fine, so off I went.
But by lunch, I had already gotten the call that he hadn't kept any of his breakfast (just cheerios and bananas) down either. So, I called the doctor's office and got him an appointment for 1:45. My grandma had noticed he was pulling at his ear a bit and he was starting to get weak from no food, so we knew it was time to get him seen. I got home from work and went to get him changed and ready to go. My grandma had just changed him, but he apparently wasn't done because his diaper was dirty again. When I went to change him, it was like a poop explosion...how, I'm not sure, because he hadn't kept a thing down, yet there it was...everywhere! I finally got him all cleaned up and we were off to the doctor's office.
We ended up waiting 45 minutes to see the nurse practitioner, but she was super nice and caring, so it was worth it. I was just beyond freaked out the entire time that Carter was going to throw up or have a blowout at any second. Turned out, he had an ear infection, with drainage that was causing all of the stomach issues. She prescribed what I always used to like to call "bubble gum medicine", an antibiotic, and we were on our way. I had them call it in to the town on the way home so the pharmacy would have more time to get it ready. So, 30-45 minutes later when I drove through the drive thru, I expected it to be at least almost ready. However, they told me it would be 15-30 more minutes.
Carter had just woken up and would not be happy in the car for that long, so we went to visit my work a couple of blocks away for a bit since the girls I work with hadn't seen him in awhile. Thirty minutes later, we were back at the drive thru...except it STILL wasn't ready. It would be another 15-20 minutes. So, I did what any logical person would do and went to Walmart. With a baby who could puke or poop any second.
Thankfully, he was really good and none of the above happened. We were able to round up some things I had been needing and head back to the pharmacy in no time. An hour and a half from the first time I drove thru, we picked up the antibiotic and headed home, later than a normal day at the office.
Carter man was very hungry when we got home. I limited him on formula and food so he wouldn't overdo it and you would have thought I was the meanest person on earth! I gave him his first dose of antibiotic and a bath and he was ready for bed early, as was mommy.
Tuesday morning I wasn't sure what we would do. Since he wasn't contagious, I knew he could go to his babysitter's, but I didn't want to send him until I knew he was going to keep his bottle down. He kept it down with no problem, so I sent him on to the babysitter and he has kept everything down since and is seemingly better now. Praying for no more puke or blowouts for awhile, as I was about this.close from the ledge from all of the laundry and nastiness around here!






Oh no! Pour Carter! And mommy :( sounds like a rough few days.
ReplyDelete