We started Carter's thirteenth month with his first Halloween to dress up and go trick-or-treating. He was the cutest little turkey I've ever seen! :)
Then, that weekend, Carter got another ear infection. We ended up going to a walk-in clinic on Saturday afternoon and I am oh, so thankful that we did. I always have trouble figuring out if he has an ear infection or if it is just teething because he never runs a fever with his ear infections. But this time, he did...and it was rough! His fever spiked up about the time we got to see the doctor and it took a couple of days before we could come off of the motrin/tylenol regimen without it coming right back. That night, he barely slept and we ended up in the recliner all night. Thankfully, he felt a lot better by the start of the week.
![]() |
| After a long night in the recliner :( |
He has picked up on several things this month. It's amazing to see him learn so many things everyday! He has really started pointing at things, especially things on the walls, like clocks/pictures/decorations. I guess he never noticed them before and now he wants to check them all out! He wears us out going from one thing to another just pointing and looking. He also started blowing kisses this month. It is the sweetest thing ever, especially since his version of kisses are slobbery, open mouth kisses. He has also picked up shaking his head "no", which is actually a huge help in communication, although it can be aggravating when he won't cooperate with me!
![]() |
| Pointing at his Daddy in our wedding picture at Granny Mac's. |
Little man finally started taking a few steps on 11/5. And the next week, when I picked him up from the babysitter's house she was so excited to show me how many steps he was taking. He had been doing the same at home, but he just wouldn't do it often. He still is preferring crawling to walking, but does take a few steps here and there. He definitely can do it, it's just a matter of wanting to.
On 11/8 we went in for Carter's one year checkup and shots. He weighed in at 21 pounds 15 ounces and is 28 1/2 inches long. His head measures 17 1/2 inches around (not really sure why this matters, but just for future reference! :)). He was due for 5 shots and had to have his finger pricked twice. It was absolutely terrible! His little feelings were so hurt! Thankfully, the sucker I gave him afterwards made him forget about it pretty quickly! Everything was right on track developmentally and physically. The bloodwork came back that he was a bit anemic, but since he was still on the antibiotic to take care of his ear infection, it didn't alarm the doctor too much. Carter was doing so well after his shots that we were able to stop by a consignment shop on the way home!
He is still eating really well, although he is starting to learn to refuse certain things...green beans no longer fly with him (not that I blame him!). He is still loving bananas, lasagna, chicken, beans, yogurt and sausage. He is drinking more juice now too, especially apple juice. I got him switched to the more "sippy cup" spout rather than the bottle type nipple that came with it. Now he will pretty much take any soft spout sippy.
![]() |
| Starting to be too independent for Mommy to feed him his yogurt! :( |

Little man's temper seems to be really be flaring these days when he doesn't get what he wants. Even his babysitter who never has anything bad to say about him said he had a major temper tantrum and she was scared he was going to hurt himself with the way he was kicking and screaming! She had to strap him in the high chair for a little time out! I'm sure this is only going to get worse before it gets better, unfortunately.
Brent has worked all but one half day this whole month (and it was due to tornadoes!). So, this month, a typical day for us is Carter waking up at 6:30 with an immediate sippy of milk, then him playing while I get him/I ready for work/the babysitter's. We are out the door at 7:25-7:35. Then it's drop off time at the babysitter's at around 7:45, where he is ready for breakfast. He always takes a long, good 2-3 hour morning nap before lunch. Sometimes he will take another for her, but usually he doesn't these days. Then I pick him up at 5:15ish and head home. We start supper around 5:30/5:45 and he usually tears apart the kitchen while I cook. I manage to feed him and scarf some food down myself around 6:30, then I clean up the best I can and take him up for a bath around 7:15/7:30. Brent has been getting home at 8, so they have some time together after the bath/lotion routine, and then he lays him down after rocking him with a sippy of milk around 8:15/8:30. I'm amazed at how easily he goes to bed, and praying it lasts!!
I think I have pretty well covered it all. I've decided that even though this stage is exhausting because all little man wants to do is explore, it really is the best so far!!











Oh he is sooooo CUTE! And so big! Why do they grow so fast?
ReplyDeleteDoes your area have a yard sale page on Facebook? I've seen people sell formula (even when the can has been opened) on that! You won't get as much for it as you paid, but at least you're not just throwing away the money?
He is so cute and growing up so fast. Sorry to hear about the ear infections. Those are no fun at all. We made the transition to milk right around 13 months too. It's so nice not having to deal with formula anymore! He is going to be walking (and running) in no time!
ReplyDeleteHe's so cute! I love that first picture!!! I hope Carter is feeling better!!
ReplyDeleteHis ear infection picture is absolutely heartbreaking...he just looks so sad! Hooray for walking, isn't that such a fun phase? Aislynn walks mostly when she is playing by herself but mostly will crawl...probably because it is faster and easier. So glad he is doing so well!
ReplyDelete