I always have a hard time deciding what I want to give up for Lent. For several years, it was coke or sweets. Then for a few years I gave up the radio in the car on my commute to/from work and would instead spend that time in prayer or listening to Christian radio. And I almost always pick up a devotional book from our church to read one passage from a day.
This Lenten season, however, I was ready for something different and more challenging. I ending up deciding to give up Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. If you are anything like me, you know this is quite the challenge (and if you aren't...good for you!!). Checking those sites was the first thing I would do when my alarm went off in the morning and the last thing I did before I drifted off to sleep at night. When I was waiting on Carter to finish up his bath, I would scroll through on my phone. During my lunch break at work, I would log in on the computer. If you added up the hours per week I wasted on these three, I would probably be completely embarrassed! And about 99% of the posts had no impact whatsoever on my life. So, needless to say, it is going to be a really good and challenging Lent for me.
I have already made it through day one, and while it was really hard, it felt good! I had to delete the apps off my phone and the bookmarks on my computer so I wouldn't hit them out of habit and so no updates would pop up on my screen. I felt the pull to check them several times, but that made me feel even stronger about doing this. I should not be allowing social media to draw me in like that! I want to feel that way about reading God's word and about going to church, not about something silly that makes no difference.
I'm really going to miss posting my sweet boy's pictures on Instagram but I have no doubt I will continue to take the pictures to have on my phone or post on here and text to family/friends.
I'm hoping that when Easter comes around and I allow myself back on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram that I will not be so immersed in it and be able to control myself from letting it take over all of my free time. And the best part about Easter falling so late this year is that tax season will be over before Easter is here so I will REALLY be able to fully celebrate this time around without having work in the back of my mind!


Yes, this is a very hard challenge! It's a good one, though. Social media is very addicting and so consuming! Good for you :) You can do it!
ReplyDeleteLovely blog :) Glad to have found it!
-amber
http://thesiblingrivalries.com
What an awesome Lenten sacrifice! I'm about the world's worst Catholic because I never give up anything for Lent! However, I'm trying to live in the moment more & spend more time in prayer before bed.
ReplyDeleteGood job! That is a hard thing to give up! I thought about giving up those things but I'm doing this Whole 30 challenge where I'm giving up basically everything else (food related) so I decided that was enough. I'm sure you are loving all the extra time with that little babe!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea to give those up and have more time to connect in person. I hope it's going well.
ReplyDelete