Pages

4.13.2018

Owen Meets his Family/Hospital Stay

Our hospital stay with Owen went really well.  We used a smaller, local hospital this time and we were so pleased with how laid back things were and how well they managed all of the "interruptions" so they could at least all happen at once instead of right when you finally get to catch some sleep!  

I have been a totally different type of mom this time around.  I never once kept track of dirty/wet diapers or feeds on what side for how long, which is a vast difference from Carter, who I documented every last breath he took on those sheets and Landry who I believe I tracked on my phone.  Sometimes, for Owen, I have used a pony tail holder on my wrist to keep up with which side to nurse on next...obviously he is a true third child for me!! :)

We had a long night with his delivery and a marathon of nursing, but I was able to get up at some point during the night to use the bathroom on my own and have my bed changed out.  Brent slept right through it all. :)  

Thankfully, the next day was Sunday, so while our friends and family were at church, we had a little alone time with Owen and I had some time to freshen up and get ready for our big kids to meet their little brother!



Then it was time for some visitors.  Owen got to meet my dad and stepdad before he was taken off to be checked out by the pediatrician.


Thankfully, all was perfect with him!  He came back hungry as can be.


We had some family stop by.  Brent's cousin, Eric, and his family, and his grandparents.  I was getting so antsy for big brother and sister to arrive with Brent's parents, and finally, they did!  I thought Landry might be a bit shy, but she took right to little Owen in no time!  They were excited to check him out!




Here we are, our first family of five picture!  Owen was clearly very thrilled about it.


Carter was so excited to hold his baby brother.  He did so good!  We kept telling him how much Owen looked like him when he was a baby...he really is his twin!  My favorite thing was when Carter saw Owen's umbilical cord stump.  He asked about what the purpose was and we told him how it was connected to me inside.  Brent told Carter that he cut the cord when Owen was born and Carter, a true little country boy, asked if he cut it with his pocket knife!! Blegh...no son, I would never let your dad near me with that nasty thing!!  Carter also had lots of questions about how he got out of my belly, which we were able to mostly avoid for now.
Landry didn't have quite as much to say, but she did tell him "I love you baby Owen" just as she did a million times when he was in my belly.  
After the big kids headed off to have fun adventures with their grandparents, we had more visitors (my sisters and mom and some cousins) and we enjoyed our steak dinner provided by the hospital.  We settled down for the night and I was able to get some good rest thanks to a cousin that was my nurse for the night shift taking Owen for a bit to the nurse's desk between nursing sessions (she was also there during his birth, so it was perfect!).  

Monday morning, February 26th, we were ready to be discharged!  I got a shower and we waited around on the doctors/nurses to do the things that had to be done for us to go home.  My sister Claire came and hung out with us for a bit and Brent ran out to get us some yummy takeout for lunch.  
After Owen was circumcised and everything was determined to be good with that, we were set to go home!  I changed him into his going home outfit, Brent buckled him in his carseat, and we were off.  It was a gorgeous, sunshiny day.  

Owen did pretty good on the ride home.  It was a different experience this time as with both of the other kids, I sat in the back with them and watched them like a hawk.  However, with three carseats in the van, there wasn't really anywhere else to sit!  #thirdchildproblems :)  Owen seemed pretty happy to be home once we got there!

No comments:

Post a Comment