Pages

2.22.2013

Carter's Baptism

Carter was baptized on December 9, 2012.  Brent & I did not even have to question this decision. I was baptized in the same church in the same spot nearly 24 years prior.  I made the Sacraments of Reconciliation & Eucharist in the church where I went to elementary school, but came back to this church to be confirmed & married.  So the church has been a longtime tradition of mine.  And Brent was baptized, confirmed, and received his first communion in this exact same spot as well on Easter of 2011 after going through the RCIA program.  Also, the priest that baptized Carter was present at our wedding and baptized Brent.  Obviously, it was a no-brainer for us that we wanted him baptized into the Catholic church ASAP.
We chose to have him baptized in between early and late Mass that day, so anyone who was attending had the option of going to either one if they needed.  We went ahead and went to church Saturday night so we would have the extra time Sunday morning to get the house ready for the gathering for breakfast afterwards and get ourselves dressed.
We chose my cousin Andrea as his Godmother and Brent's cousin Layne as his Godfather.  Andrea, like me, is a cradle Catholic & Layne was baptized the year prior to Brent after marrying one of my friends.  We know they will be great faith role models for our little Carter bug, and expect them to help us bring baby boy up as a Christian.
Following the Baptism, we had our friends and family over to our house for breakfast.  Thankfully, all I had to provide were biscuits (that were frozen & put on a cookie sheet in the oven HA!) and some sausage crescent things that Brent requested that I had pretty much ready for the oven when we returned from church.  Other than that, my family brought everything else!  We had egg casseroles, country ham, sausage, monkey bread, hash browns, a pumpkin roll, and a honeybun cake that is to die for! We ended up having just enough food for the crowd and everyone seemed to enjoy visiting and spending time with baby Carter.  
Carter was passed around to nearly everyone while Brent & I opened his gifts, but he slept right through all the commotion.  My family has this joke that after a baby is baptized, they will sleep all day/night.  It held true that day, as he barely even woke up to eat.  However, I didn't get so lucky for the night!  

No comments:

Post a Comment