Pages

2.28.2013

Carter's First Christmas

Christmas for Brent & I has always been a SUPER busy holiday.  We just rush from one place to the next and feel like we are driving most of the time.  So, a few years ago, right after we were married, we started taking turns going to different places different years or holidays.  We prioritized close family gatherings, and started skipping out on huge family reunion type get-togethers.  Thank goodness we did that before having a baby, because it made our first Christmas with Carter pretty relaxed and fun!

I did all of my Christmas shopping either online or in the couple of days that I left Carter with my father-in-law so I wouldn't have to get Carter out and expose him to all the yucky germs that tend to be around that time of year.  

We took Carter for his first visit with Santa the Saturday before Christmas.  He was wide awake, but I don't think he ever actually saw Santa, as he was watching Brent and I look like fools with the cameras!  I have a feeling that next year's Santa picture will be much different...I foresee a screaming baby!
First Santa Visit
That day, when we got home from seeing Santa, Brent told me he wasn't feeling so well.  We had a big family Mass & get together later that night, so he rested up in his recliner.  When it came time to go, Brent thought he would be fine.  But we got about halfway through Mass & Brent had to run to the bathroom...he had the stomach bug!  AHH...not for Carter's first Christmas!  That is all he and I could think about, and he felt so guilty about it.  We ended up leaving right after Mass and when we got home Carter & I stayed as far away from Brent as we could.  I Lysoled every surface in the house and used hand sanitizer every five seconds.  We were determined that Carter was not allowed to get sick on his first Christmas.

The next day, Brent woke up feeling much better, but just very tired.  My grandma was having her Christmas gathering that day, so he decided he would stay home so he wouldn't get anyone else sick, but he wanted us to go.  But Carter was being fussy & after I nursed him before we were going to leave, he spit up A TON everywhere.  I convinced myself it was puke and started crying my eyes out because I just knew Carter had caught the stomach bug just in time for Christmas.  So we stayed home and cuddled until dinner that night.  He didn't spit up again and seemed to be doing fine, so I asked my Mom if she minded if we came over even though we were very likely carrying yucky sick germs and she, of course, said to come on over.  I was able to eat leftovers from their Christmas dinner and spend some time with those who were left.

The next day was Christmas Eve and Brent and Carter both woke up feeling good and ready to start celebrating!  That is good, because we had lots to do!

We took Carter to my Dad & step-mom Ann's on Christmas Eve day to celebrate with them.  My Dad always has a non-traditional holiday meal since we get so much of the other typical stuff (ham, etc.).  So this year we had fried hot wings and ribbon fries!  Carter wore his sweet little Santa hat and snoozed pretty much the entire time!  I told all of our family that Carter only wanted money for his savings account for Christmas so we wouldn't be overwhelmed with gifts, and most went along with that.
Left-Grandma Ann with Carter, Right-My sleepy Santa

Christmas Eve night, we went to Mass.  We tried to be early because church is always super packed, but Carter had to nurse right before and we all got all dressed up.  So we ended up only about 15-20 minutes early, and there were no seats to be found in the entire church.  Thankfully, an older man gave up his seat with his family for Carter and I, while Brent sat on the stairs in the back of church.  I was kind of disappointed because I wanted us to spend our first Christmas Mass all together and because it is tiring to hold a baby through an entire Christmas Mass on your own!  But, we made it through and headed off afterwards for another family gathering at Brent's grandparents house.

On Christmas morning, we waited for Carter to wake up and nurse once before taking him in the living room to see what Santa brought him.  We only had a stocking with little stuff for him, because, let's face it, he was 2 months old and had everything a baby could want anyways!  It was filled with bottle brushes, bibs, a few teething toys, lotion, passy clips, etc.  He was less-than-thrilled when I opened it and showed it all to him! :) Then Brent opened his stocking from me (his only gifts since he had already bought his gun safe and new gun) and I opened my gifts from him.  He got me some comfy Under Armour pants and a Kindle Fire, which I am hooked on now!

My Mom, Stepdad, and sisters came over after that and we had some barely expired cinnamon rolls and opened our gifts to/from one another.  We were able to visit with them awhile before it was time for us to get ready and head to Brent's grandmas.
Kara (Brent's little sister), Brent & I

Left-Brent's Granny Mac with Carter, Right-4 Generations























Next, we headed right next door to our own house to my step-grandparent's Christmas gathering.  We enjoyed some cocktails and hors d'oeuvres before a yummy steak dinner.  
Carter with my Mom-"Ninny"

Carter all worn out from a busy Christmas!
All of the grandkids!

When we got home that night, it had already begun snowing and they were calling for a blizzard.  It did end up snowing quite a bit, but nowhere near what was expected.  But it was still Carter's first measurable snowfall.  Too bad it came just a little late for a white Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment