Pages

8.15.2013

A Day in the Life 8/14/13

I've been wanting to do a day in the life post for awhile now, but just never took the time to document an entire day until yesterday.  I think it will be fun to look back at this when we have a couple more kiddos running around and think about how easy we used to have it...even if we do feel busy busy now!  So, here you have it, a day in the life of a working momma of a 9.5 month old:

5:20 - Brent's alarm goes off.  I turn it off and wake him up (an alarm is nowhere close to enough to wake him up!).  Usually I stay awake long enough to know he is actually awake, but not today, I'm too tired myself!  So I roll back over to catch a few more zzz's and hope he gets up.

...Sometime around 6 Brent is waking me up to kiss me goodbye for the day.  I wake up long enough to wish him a good day, kiss and tell him I love him, then it's back to sleep for my last few minutes!

6:21 - I hear Carter bug stirring.  I lay there a few minutes to be sure he is really up for the day, then give up and head to the kitchen to mix his bottle.  I get him out of his crib (and he actually smiles at me this morning...sometimes he is too hungry to be happy in the morning!), change his diaper, and take him and the bottle to my bed.  We watch TV/check instagram/etc while Carter eats his bottle, then we snuggle for a bit until Carter decides he can't be still any longer!

6:49 - I decide I had better start getting ready for the day.  I put Carter in the floor so he can crawl around behind me and play while I get ready.
7:15 - I am ready besides getting dressed, so I head to the kitchen, dropping Carter off in the living room to play while I start the crock pot for our supper tonight and pack my lunch.
7:23 - I need to dress both of us so we can get out the door.  I realize Carter has a poopy diaper, so we get to add that into the mix.  

7:37 - We are finally ready, have all of our bags packed, and are getting in the car to head to the babysitter's.  During the car ride, we listen to some music and I say our prayers aloud.  Carter has started jabbering along with me a bit! :)

7:48 - We are at the babysitter's.  I unload the baby & grab his bag, run him inside and talk to the sitter a bit.  By 7:51, I am off to work!

7:58 - I arrive at work just in time!

I work from 8-5.  Sometime around lunch I realize I forgot to add the taco seasoning to our chicken ranch TACOS I had started this morning...typical!  

5:10 - I get in the car.  I'm a little later than usual today as I was wrapping up some things at the end of the day. I head to pick up Carter man.

5:22 - I have picked up the little guy and am strapping him in the car seat and heading home.  The weather is gorgeous today (very unlike the typical hot, dry August weather!) so we put the windows down and enjoy the day.  Carter falls asleep when we near the house.

5:38 - We pull in the driveway.  I make a trip inside with my purse/lunchbag/Carter's backpack.  Then, I attempt to get him inside while still asleep, but he wakes up when the neighbor's dog comes over and barks at us!  At least that isn't a usual nap for him!  So, we head in so I can check on our supper in the crock pot (and add the forgotten taco seasoning!) and change out of my work clothes.

5:55 - Carter & I head outside to play a bit.  Usually Daddy gets home around now, but today he is running behind.  We play with Bella and swing for awhile.  

6:10 - I sit Carter in his little rocking chair on the porch and realize he has pooped yet again today.  So we head in to get a clean diaper.  I realize Brent is running even more behind than I thought, so Carter & I are going to have to go on and eat without him.  By 6:15, Carter is in his high chair, chowing down on a teething biscuit while I round up a few things for his dinner. I end up feeding him some homegrown black eyed peas, banana pieces and some freshly shredded cheese.  Then I make my own plate.

6:25 - I sit down to eat at the table with Carter beside me.  As a momma, I have learned to scarf down my food if I am going to eat, so I am barely able to finish by the time Carter starts demanding his bottle at 6:33.  I get up to mix it up, wipe his hands and face while he screams at the top of his lungs (the boy usually only cries about food!), take off his bib and take him to the living room to give him his bottle.  

Once he is finished, we head outside to check on daddy who came home to find that our dog Bella's underground fence wire got all chopped up by the guy that mows our lawn. Brent's cousin (our neighbor) is over trying to help him get it fixed, but it is a major headache and the last thing Brent needs when he is working these long hours!  It has cooled down so much already (especially for August!) and I feel like it is too cool for Carter in his onesie and shorts, so we head back inside to play and leave the men to fix the dog pen.

Carter and I play a bit, but he is really entertaining himself so I head to the kitchen to clean up supper. By 7, Brent is back inside and ready to eat.  I sit at the dinner table while he eats and Carter crawls around on the floor below us.  (The child just won't be contained to any sorts of contraptions these days!)  I show Brent the pictures our photographer posted from Carter's 9 month session today, and we gush over how cute our baby is!  Carter hangs out standing at the door, then crawls over under the table and sticks something in his mouth. Brent's not sure if it is a black eyed pea from earlier or a dead fly.  So, I am freaking out, of course. Brent holds him down while I fish out...a pea! Thank goodness!  

7:30 - I head upstairs to give Carter his bath.  He loves his bath, so after I get his hair washed and soap him up, I let him play for a bit.

8 - We are back downstairs lotioning up and getting his PJ's on.  Carter hates this part, so it's always a game of distraction to keep him still for a few minutes.  When I finish, his daddy is ready for a little play time before bed.  

8:15 - Brent takes Carter to bed with his last bottle, while I pick up the house and clean up from when Brent ate supper.  I also try to get his bag for the next day packed the best I can with a new bottle and any baby food or snacks he may need.  By 8:30, I am finished and Carter is asleep.  Brent still needs a shower tonight but he lets me go ahead and run my bath water first while he watches some TV and surfs the internet.  

Once we are both all cleaned up, we cuddle and watch TV in bed.  I fall asleep while watching Mistresses (my new TV show since Desperate Housewives was cut) on DVR and Brent isn't far behind me!  We are nearly ALWAYS asleep by 10...having a baby has turned us into old folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment