Pages

8.18.2014

21 Months with Carter


June 28th-July 27th

I'm so behind with this, but here is all about Carter's 21st month before I forget everything!
We continue to be amazed on all this child is picking up on, even when we aren't trying to teach him anything.  He comes out with so many new words everyday, and 90% of the time he knows what they mean and uses them in the correct context.  But we also continue to be shocked at the independence this kid has...which is good, but really really hard when he tries to be independent and it simply is not safe or something he needs to be doing.  That is when the toddler temper tantrums and his lovely grunt show themselves in full force! 

Unfortunately, his independence is suddenly gone when I try to drop him off at the babysitter's each morning.  It's not that he doesn't want to be there, it's just that he wants mommy to stay too!  Most days I leave with him either screaming for me or at least crying.  This is so not good on a momma with the pregnancy hormones raging...it results in me crying on my way to work all too often. 

Speaking of the morning dropoff routine, he has gotten pretty funny in the car everyday.  He knows where people live now and always points out where Juju and Pawpaw live when we pass.  But then when we pass where we would turn to go to my moms, he cries when we go straight instead!  He will literally whine for a few minutes about wanting to go see "Ninny".  Thankfully we pass tractors not much further down the road so that never fails to take his mind off of it.  He also has an opinion now on what we listen to on the radio.  How he understands that I control what is on is beyond me!  If there is a commercial/talking on or even a slow song, he will say "off" over and over until I turn it.  
Thing he is loving this month: dipping pretty much anything in ketchup (then just getting a full spoonful of plain ketchup when he thinks I'm not looking), ranch dip (which he also prefers to eat by the spoonful), "fishing" with anything that resembles a fishing pole, his blankey and passy (will he ever give it up??), pushing his shopping cart around the house and telling us how "fast" he is, being outside, driving his four wheeler (and finally really steering it!), and Ranger rides.  He also loves his baby sissy and will give her kisses all of the time, but sometimes he gets confused and tries to kiss Daddy's baby in his belly too...we are going to have to do some clarifying on that subject I guess!

We had some really fun times this month, too!  We spent July 4th weekend camping at the lakes with my mom, stepdad and sisters.  Thankfully, the weather was cool for July so I was even able to enjoy it in my pregnant state and was able to keep up with little man chasing him around the campground!  Carter was even brave enough to take his first spin on the tube.  My momma gut was killing me letting him do it, but he really did enjoy it!  And he napped and slept awesome in his pack-n-play thanks to all of the sun and fun.  We went out on the boat for some fireworks on the 4th and it was precious because Carter narrated the entire show for us, pointing and saying "BOOM" for every one!   
Then we came home for our church's parade and fireworks.  The sirens and honking from the fire truck had him a bit freaked out at first (they were seriously loud!), but he loved the rest of the parade.  Once he saw the tractors and the horses come through, he was in love.  Plus the fact that they were throwing out candy made it even better!  We had a big evening playing with friends and family followed by more fireworks!  The show was a little too long for Carter, so by the end he was mainly playing, but he loved saying "BOOM" for us again!  

Then, of course, at the end of the month, we took our beach trip.  It was so much fun and I keep wishing we could just go back and do it all over again, but I guess that means I should just plan us another ASAP.  However, next time we will have a baby and a toddler in tow, and I'm not too sure how relaxing that could possibly be!
I'm pretty certain he was working on getting his 2 year molars during the trip and has continued to since we returned on and off.  It will be nice to have those behind us and the next thing will be to lose them! :)  Thankfully, sleep has not really been interrupted by them just yet.  Crossing my fingers that doesn't happen at all, but I realize it probably will at some point.  

Overall, I feel like we returned from our trip with a grown kid instead of a toddler.  He just seems like such a big boy, which I am sure isn't helped by the independence he shows.  How can I make it slow down??

No comments:

Post a Comment