Pages

10.14.2015

Labor Day 2015

I know, I'm over a month behind!!! We just returned from the beach and I'm planning family pictures, a third birthday party, and Halloween costumes so I just can't seem to get it together.  I have also been reading some really good books I can't seem to put down and started a young adult Bible study and those have been eating up a lot of my "me time".   But I'm determined these memories can't be lost, so better late than never! :)

We had a big, long weekend on Labor Day.  Brent's cousin Tanner is a freshman playing baseball up in a junior college in Illinois.  He had one of his first games against another junior college in Busch Stadium on Labor Day following a big Cubs vs Cards game.  We found out about this early in the summer and decided that surely by Labor Day it would be cooled off enough that we could handle taking both kids, especially since Brent's mom, dad, sister, aunt and uncle, and cousins would all be sitting around us for some extra help.

Sadly, we were super wrong about the weather and it was intensely hot (nearly 100 degree heat index!!) and our seats were right in the sun.  But we were able to make the best of it and it will be something we always remember!

We decided to make a little family trip out of it and go on up to Saint Louis a day early for a zoo day.  The drive up was terrible...like we considered turning the car around and just calling it quits, terrible...but we made it amidst stopping to let Carter pee a hundred times and Landry squealing about being strapped in a car seat for 3 hours.  We made it to the zoo around lunch time (we fully expected both kids to get a decent nap before we got there in the car, but of course this did not happen!!).  We took the double stroller in (which was a lifesaver) and met up with Brent's mom, dad and sister Dana.

We hit up the monkey area first since that was what Carter was most excited about.  The monkeys were being pretty active and playful so it was really fun.  I never expected Landry Kate to really be too in to what was going on, but she loved it so much!  She would get so excited when the monkeys went running by her behind the glass, making noises and bouncing around just like them!  



We walked, saw more animals and Landry Kate did some napping.  I loved the STL Zoo's nursing room...every family-oriented place (zoos/parks/malls/sports arenas/etc) needs to have something like theirs!  I was so impressed with it and was thankful for an air-conditioned, private area to take care of my little miss.

Brent's cousins and their kids were also at the zoo and we met up with some of them at the carousel.  Carter talked his Pepaw Red into many rides on that thing!  

We finished up looking around at the animals and then Pepaw Red and Brent took the kids on a little train ride while myself, and Brent's mom and sister figured out dinner plans and directions to the hotel.
We ended up going on and checking into our hotel and then walking a couple of blocks to eat in downtown STL.  The Cards were playing the Pirates just down the road, so we watched that game on TV while we ate.  The kids were really tired (as were we) so we turned in soon after.  Landry had a rough night of sleep (not sure if it was teeth or just a strange place!).  We woke up the next morning to a cloudy day.  We hoped that meant it would be cooler than forecasted, but of course the clouds cleared out just in time for the game.  We ate breakfast at the hotel, hung out until around 11 letting Landry get a nap, and then checked out and headed to the game.  
Carter was pretty much ready to go home by the time we hit our seats (as was I...the walk from the hotel to the stadium was HOT and longer than we expected carrying two kiddos and a diaper bag and cooler!). We took turns taking Landry up to the shade and I was able to get us into the air conditioned suite area as well for a bit to cool her off.  However, there was nowhere at all to nurse her and not make both of us come out dripping with sweat.  Busch Stadium's website tells you to use the family restrooms, which are basically a handicapped bathroom that have a changing station.  However, they do not have chairs in them, nor do the toilet seats even have a lid!!  So I guess they expect you to sit on the floor.  I ended up flipping over a trash can and sitting on it to nurse her the first time.  Not to mention, there is no air circulation so it felt about 10 degrees hotter in there than it even did outside!  I was very unhappy with this as I asked several workers and they couldn't do any better for us.  There were at least 3 other babies in our section, so I know I am not the only one who had to deal with this!!
Sadly, the Cardinals game was terrible!  The Cubs beat up on us so bad.  When the game was over, we moved down right behind the plate for Tanner's college game.  We had been thinking all day that he would be pitching in the first inning, but then found out it would be in the fifth or sixth, so we stayed for quite a long time.  Our total time in Busch Stadium was around 7-8 hours that day!  I can't believe we made it that long with two tired, HOT kids!  Carter did fall asleep in my arms during the college game, which he never does, so I know he was worn out.  We still had a three hour drive ahead of us, and work the next day, so we left right after Tanner pitched.  We stopped for a quick drive thru dinner and the kids slept pretty well the entire ride home.  We sure were worn out the rest of the week, but we definitely made some memories and we are so glad we got to see Tanner pitch in Busch Stadium!

No comments:

Post a Comment