Pages

10.27.2011

A Busy First Month

Well, Baby Smith has had a very busy first month.  

We went to the Thompson Square concert and I won Meet & Greet passes for Brent & I (and possibly Baby Smith too, if he/she existed at that time!).  

How did I win these passes? Pure luck at a game of "Heads or Tails"! A guy from a local radio station was up on stage and had everyone stand up.  Brent & I stayed sitting because we were "too cool" or something.  Anyways, he had a coin and every time he threw it up in the air, we were supposed to put our hands on our head or on our butt (for tails).  If you guessed right, you stayed standing.  Wrong, you sit down.  Eventually, someone won the passes and they had to walk up to the stage to get the passes and say their name and where they were from.  

Well, they played a second round.  And I thought, "what the heck, I'll give it a try!" I never do good at anything like that anyways.  I tried to get Brent to do it with me, but he wouldn't!  As I was standing up, I said to him "I will be so embarrassed if I win and have to walk up to the stage!"

I guess I jinxed myself, because the next thing I know, I am the last one standing!  I made it through the embarrassment, enjoyed the concert (ElenOwen from The Voice opened), and then it was time to meet Keifer & Shawna! Basically, we just got a picture with them, but it was pretty cool.  

I tried to stand by Shawna, but Brent thought he needed to be by her!
Then we headed for Florida two days later for a week of fun and relaxation on the beach.

Can we go back now, please?
The week we got back to work, we got tickets to the Big Blue All-stars game at our old high school.  The game featured UK alumni versus the current Mid-Continent University basketball team.  Brent stood in line for two hours to get us good seats since it was first come, first serve. It was a pretty cool event.  Josh Harrellson, DeMarcus Cousins, Brandon Knight and Jodie Meeks were among the UK alumni that showed up.  Jeff Sheppard "coached" the team.  But Kenneth Faried from Morehead State came as well, and he stole the show.  He was dunking left and right, and at one point he even hit his head on the rim!  Here is a quick clip from the night we were there: 


Then that Saturday, we volunteered to help with our church's high school youth group.  We had an event called "Boxed In".  We tried to teach the kids about being homeless.  We began the night at Mass, and then we ate hot dogs and hamburgers out of a "trash can".   The kids then sat up their boxes that they would sleep in that night.  Then we split up into teams and went on a scavenger hunt type thing for canned goods/boxed food/toiletries/baby items throughout our community.  We stopped at various family members/friends/church members houses and asked if they had anything they would like to donate.  Each item had a point value, so when we returned we totaled up what we had to see which team won tickets to our local haunted house.  Our team did really well, but another team beat us.  Then we listened to a short lesson, played some games, and it was time to head to the boxes.  

The kids were pretty good, considering how cold it was out there.  Brent & I had to stay awake all night to keep watch on the kids.  We remember all too well how much trouble high schoolers can get themselves into.  We thought morning would never come, but eventually seven AM rolled around and we sent them home.  Then we got a few hours of sleep!

That Monday morning, I took the pregnancy test that has changed our lives!

Thursday night, we had tickets to a Justin Moore & Miranda Lambert concert at Cape Girardeau, which is about a two hour drive.  We got there just in time, and really enjoyed the concert.  Brent mainly went to see Justin Moore, but I think he really enjoyed Miranda too!

Justin Moore
The best part for me was that the Pistol Annies showed up!  I had just gotten through telling Brent how awesome that would be.

Singing "Hell on Heels"
We were sitting next to a couple from close to home who were having such a good time.  They even bought Brent a beer!  The girl told me that "if I would drink, it would be so much more fun!"  LOL she wasn't telling me anything new! I think that is going to be the hardest part of being pregnant!

Friday night we took Claire to see the remake of Footloose.  We loved it! Saturday night we went out to eat with our friends.  Everyone was having frozen margaritas, my favorite, and I was feeling so deprived!  I'm sure my friends know something is up since I didn't partake in the drinking!

And on Sunday we went to my step-grandmothers house for dinner.  My cousin Andrea was talking about her wedding plans for next summer.  I asked her what her wedding date was and she said June 30th!! That is so stressful for me!  I will likely either have a brand.new baby or be about to go into labor!  But, I guess I will just have to see how things go!

Thankfully, this week has been much more laid back.  We have just been rooting on the St. Louis Cardinals to win the World Series, so that has meant lots of late nights watching baseball.  The exhaustion has finally hit me, and it has been like a ton of bricks!  I can barely drag myself out of bed these days!  I guess that can be expected, I mean I am growing a baby here!

No comments:

Post a Comment