Pages

1.31.2014

5 on Friday - Crockpot Recipes we Love

Today I just want to share some of our favorite super simple crock pot recipes.  All of them were found on Pinterest, so I'm sure you have seen them all, but if you are like me you don't always know how the recipe will turn out and would love some reassurance that it will be worth your time/money.  

Why the crock pot?  Because it is nearly the ONLY way I can get a good meal on the table when I am getting off work at 5PM, rushing to pick up Carter from the sitter's, and getting home after 5:30 every night.  Plus, Brent isn't home until after 6, so usually I'm on my own with a clingy toddler during the time I need to be cooking dinner.  But if something has been cooking all day in there, all I have to do is check it and maybe throw a few sides together.  

For Christmas, my dad & stepmom got me a crock pot with a timer.  That has made all the difference since I am gone for such long days!  Now my chicken isn't dried out when I get home like it used to be.  And of course, I love to use the slow cooker liners that make clean up a breeze!

Now that I have professed my love for the crock pot...here are five of our family's favorite recipes:
Via
1.  Our absolute favorite that we have pretty much every other week is Chicken Ranch Tacos. If you follow the link above for the picture, it will take you to a way to make them on the stovetop.  However, on the pin on Pinterest, for crock pot preparation, you just throw a can of chicken broth mixed with a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of Ranch seasoning with your chicken breasts in.  I always use frozen chicken breasts since I am gone so long during the day, so I cook it on low for about 6 or 7 hours before it switches over to warm, although before I had my new crock pot I probably cooked them up to 10 1/2 hours on low and they were still fine.  A bit before serving, you just shred the chicken with a fork and put it back in the juice to let it soak in the flavor.  We eat the chicken on tortillas or on chips for some really good nachos and usually serve with Carter's favorite...refried beans!
Via
 2. Another super simple, but super yummy one is 3 Ingredient Ranch Pork Chops.  All it takes is a can of cream of chicken soup, a packet of ranch, and pork chops.  I always use frozen, once again, to give it more time to cook.  Simply mix up the soup plus a can of water and the mix and throw in the pork chops.  I cook on low for 6-8 hours.  I like to make a side of mashed potatoes or rice because the extra juice in the crock pot makes for a yummy gravy.
Via
3. Another one of our absolute favorites is the 3 Envelope Roast I always see floating around Pinterest.  I can make this and we will have leftovers for lunch several days, and usually a second dinner from it!  And we all love it so it's a win all around.  You just need around a 3 pound roast (I never really know what cut to buy, so it's always different!) and an envelope of each ranch mix, italian dressing mix, and brown gravy mix, plus about a cup or so of water.  I usually do it in exactly that order...not even mixing the seasonings or anything.  You can also add potatoes and carrots as the bottom layer, but I prefer mashed potatoes so I don't!  Cook on low for around 8-10 hours.  I break it up with a fork before it is served so it can get a little more juice and it is easier to scoop out.  Don't tell our grandparents, but we both think this roast is better than the ones our grandma's have been making for years!
Via
4. One meal that we haven't had in awhile but is definitely going to be in the menu for next week is Creamy Italian Chicken.  You just need to soften an 8 oz. package of cream cheese and mix it with a can of cream of chicken soup and a package of italian dressing mix in your crock pot.  Then just add a few frozen chicken breasts and cook on low for around 8 hours.  I usually break up the chicken into bite-sized pieces before serving over pasta or rice.  It is really good with some italian bread and maybe a salad! 
Via
5. And last I have one we gave a try for the first time last week, Italian Beef...ours wasn't fantastic because the cut of meat I got was just not that great, but we are definitely going to give it another try!  You just need a 3 pound beef roast, two packages of italian seasoning, a cup of water, and a 16 oz jar of sliced pepperocini peppers.  I only used half of the jar to be sure Brent and Carter would eat it...but I really think the entire jar would have been even better and fine for them.  Cook it on low for 10-12 hours and shred it up with a fork before serving so it can soak up the juices.  I got some yummy hoagie buns for serving this recipe, but I think just a hamburger bun would work fine!  

And of course, you can always throw some chicken or pork in with BBQ sauce and it always seems to come out yummy!  I am also wanting to try this bacon cheeseburger soup, this potato soup (except probably with velveeta instead of cream cheese!), and maybe some kind of crock pot lasagna.  If you have any easy recipes to share, send them my way!

2 comments:

  1. YOU JUST CHANGED MY LIFE! I love my crockpots so much that I have two! I had literally no idea they made crockpot liners. I HATE scrubbing the crockpot so so so much this is amazingggg! Ah so so so excited!

    Happy to be a new follower here!

    Tatteredtotaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these recipes I am trying to use my crockpot more this year!!!

    ReplyDelete