Pages

2.25.2015

Life Lately...




..has been crazy! Adding another little one to the mix has kept us busy, no doubt! When I'm not playing with Carter, I'm tending to the baby, and when they are both ok I'm fixing the next meal or doing laundry! 
My maternity leave ended and I have been back to work for a week and a half now. We got nearly 10 inches of snow the night before I was to return, so I got to ease into it by working from home Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday we got another 2ish inches so my boss ended up coming to pick me up and drop Carter off at the babysitter's. And if that wasn't enough, on Friday we closed a couple hours early because sleet and ice was coming through and again made the roads a mess! When I walked in the door that afternoon, Landry Kate was in the swing wide awake and she gave me the biggest smiles!! :) That was a nice end to the week! 
It was nice last week because Brent was still laid off so he kept Landry at home which meant I only had to get Carter dressed and out of the house.  He even helped me get Carter ready and started my car for me which greatly lessens the craziness of my mornings. But he got the call to go back to work this week so it has been a whole new experience getting both babies ready and out the door!  I will definitely post an update on that in a few weeks as to how it is going.
I'm feeling stretched pretty thin right now among work (such a busy busy time for us!), being a mom and wife, and keeping the laundry done/meals cooked/house kept livable.  Hopefully things will settle soon, but for now I'm going to do a quick little update on my Carter man so I don't forget this stuff!

He is becoming the sweetest big brother!  Seeing his love for Landry Kate makes my heart melt.  He loves to go give her kisses and hugs, followed by a "love you too!".  He is always keeping her covered up if she kicks her blanket off in the swing/bouncy seat and if she doesn't have one, he will give her his beloved blankey which he shares with no one else!  Having his help is nice when I need him to bring me a passy or burp cloth...he is so good about dropping what he is doing to go grab something for me.  
Speaking of a passy...he finally gave his up!!!  I noticed one day while on maternity leave that his pacifier had major teeth marks in it and upon further inspection, it actually had major holes/tears on each side.  It turned out his backup was in the same shape.  We showed them to Carter & explained that we had to throw them away because he had bitten them and they could fall apart & choke him.  I had bought one more pack of two awhile back and kept it hid away just in case.  I pulled it out and told him these were the last ones I was buying so he had better not bite them or I would have to throw them away too.  The first one was torn up within a day.  The second one lasted a few days, but he chewed holes in it too (not really sure if it was on purpose since he only gets them during nap/bedtime!) so we threw the last one away.  Brent and I freaked out giving each other the 'what are we going to do?!' look but Carter took it just fine and really didn't ask for it more than once for that first nap.  He has since whined for it a few times, mainly when he is really tired, but he blew us away with how easy that transition was (as he always seems to!) and he hasn't tried to steal Landry's passy either.
We are also working on potty training.  For a couple of weeks of my maternity leave, he was using the potty every time he needed to poop.  He definitely peed in his diaper quite a bit still, but I can handle that!  But recently he has decided he would rather go in his diaper...and he doesn't want to be changed after.  YUCK!  I'm hoping when spring hits and we can be outside more we can give big boy underwear a try and see if that helps.  The funniest thing is that one day he had pooped in his little potty (which is so disgusting to clean up by the way!!) and I was joking with him saying that was a big ol' daddy turd.  Ever since, when I change a poopy diaper, he will tell me it is a 'daddy turd'.  Cue me laughing so hard I practically pee my pants! :)
Some of his favorite things right now are playing hide and seek (which has actually taught him to count to fourteen so far!), saying "dude" after everything ('hey dude', 'what you doin' dude?', 'see ya dude'!!), playing with his tool set from Christmas, watching 'monkey truck' AKA monster truck videos on 'Daddy's old phone' which is basically his little iPod these days, saying 'two minutes ago' about everything ('Daddy will be home two minutes ago'), and waving and saying hi to our video monitors.  This one is kind of creepy...hopefully no one is actually watching when it's just us in the house and I'm with him in the room LOL.  He constantly says 'camera watching you' and recently got scared to go play in his room until I covered the camera with his blankey!  I'm not real sure what is going through his mind about those cameras!

Of course not everything about this age is cute...there is plenty of attitude and temper tantrums as well.  And the testing...oh my goodness it is terrible!  Nothing we say is taken at face value, the limits are always tested and pushed to the extreme.  The worst part is that it is like he wants the attention or something...he will say "Look, mom!" or "Look, dad!" when he is doing something he knows he will get in trouble for which makes us insane.  Hoping that part of this age goes away soon!
And I want to get a few pictures of playing in the snow on here too!  Carter was not a fan of riding the Ranger and pulling the sled behind it.  He was over that in about 5 minutes!  He liked it when I brought a tub of snow in to drive his tractors through though.  The next day, he didn't want to come in from playing in it!  He loved watching Brent & I have a snowball fight and loved sliding down the slide into the pile of snow.  We are definitely looking forward to the days of playing outside again when it isn't quite so cold!  Spring can go ahead and show up any day now.

2 comments:

  1. How nice that you got to ease back into work that first week! And sounds like Carter is just the sweetest big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds so much like Mac. Funny and sweet, but pushing boundaries like whoa. Our little girls have such great big brothers! He is too cute!

    ReplyDelete