When we found out we were going to have baby # 2, we knew it was time to start thinking about what we wanted to do with Carter to get him out of the nursery. We have one bedroom downstairs besides the master, so the only real option was upstairs. There are two more bedrooms up there, one that was set up as a guest room and another that was a catch all crafting/storage/junk kind of room. Since I grew up in this house, that was my room in middle and high school. It is a really big room, as big as our living room right below it, but it is open to the stairwell which means it gets lots of noise from anything going on in the kitchen and living rooms. So I knew we really needed to close it off from the stairs if we wanted to put Carter in there since he still goes to bed early and takes naps during the day. Plus, that room does not have a closet in it.
So we decided to go ahead and do a little remodel up there while no one was actually living up there yet. The before pictures are below. I start with coming up the stairs.
This is looking to the right into what would eventually be turned into Carter man's big boy room. As you can see, we have the slanted ceilings up there which makes decorating and planning it out a bit challenging. This was after Brent had cleaned the room out and pulled up the linoleum "racing" floors.
And this is looking back towards the stairs from what would be Carter's room, taken before Brent got the room cleaned out and the floors up. See...lots of junk! You will notice my office area there to the right, barely making the picture. Another priority in this remodel was to leave me an area for my desk so I can dial into work from home and have an area for my filing cabinets.
Then this is looking on down the hall from the top of the stairs to the left. Straight ahead is the guest room door. The only thing we wanted to do in that room is lay the same new flooring as the rest of the upstairs in there, although that still has not been completed since we used that room to store all of the furniture and things from all of the other rooms! We are hoping to get to that sometime before spring.
Then around the corner is a bathroom. My mom and stepdad had pretty recently redone this room to add the shower, as when I lived there it was always a half bath. Originally there were three bedrooms upstairs, but when they did this, it took nearly half of the third bedroom away and they were using it as a walk in closet for my sisters. We decided to just use it as a storage and craft and sewing room for now until we need it as a toy room or maybe even a small bedroom. Anyways, this room really didn't NEED much done to it.
This is looking into the extra room I was referring to above.
And now for the after pictures! My favorite part of the entire thing is the new flooring...now I am ready to re-floor our entire house with this laminate hardwood! Anyways, the wall to the right of the stairs was raised to meet the ceiling and then a little area was walled in to make a little hall and area for my desk. We are still working on getting my new Black Friday desktop all set up, so ignore that! :) The paint color is continued Valspar Timber Dust from downstairs and goes throughout the hall.
And through that door to the right, is Carter man's big boy room, otherwise known as "tractor bed"! His furniture (besides the bed) was actually from my sister Raylee when she was using this room. We chalk painted it with Annie Sloan's Paris Grey, along with a twin bed I found on a Facebook "for sale" page. Then I just updated the pulls to something more boyish and rustic looking.
His walls are Valspar Wet Pavement, which we are loving because it has more of a green tint than blue like the rest of the greys throughout our house. His bedding is from New Mom Designs on Etsy. I had considered lots of options knowing I wanted to go with a tractor theme, but most of them were very John Deere and I didn't really want it to be green and yellow and generic. So then I started looking for fabric to make it myself, and by the time I would have invested in fabric plus taken the time to sew it, paying someone else to do it just made more sense! Here is something similar to what I ordered...I have been nothing but happy with it! And since the seller designs her own fabric, it isn't something you would see all over the place..very unique! I chose the lime green and grey fabric and I feel like it is going to grow with him very well!
I painted the tractor sign myself after having Brent hunt down some old barn wood and cut it to size. I'm thinking maybe we should do another one on the other side? I just don't want to mess up his camera for the monitor since that is alot of what makes me feel better about leaving him up there by himself all night! The green chest was a thrift store find and it makes for really great toy storage! Carter's babysitter gave him the John Deere tractor lamp by the bed.
Brent refinished the little picnic style table that we found at a yard sale. I love it so much and think it is going to be really nice when we can trust Carter with crayons on his own. And the little tractor tins and trash can came from his babysitter as well. I want to put some book storage there under the window to make a little reading area. The old window frame was another thrift store find covered with a coat of spray paint and I ordered the tractor print on etsy to put behind it. Carter loves pretending that it is a TV and turns it on and off with a remote! :)
Ignore Carter peeking in up there! :) Behind the door there is his closet. That was a main goal in the whole remodel and it turned out to be a great size. Brent put in double shelving through it and it is working perfect!
Then we have the bathroom which didn't have a lot done to it, but I still am loving how it turned out. I actually used some extra paint from our master bathroom in there, Valspar Metropolis. The flooring was redone with some hardwood tile and I am competely in love with it!
The shower curtain is from target. Everything else I pretty much had. Other upgrades were the new medicine cabinet, vanity, sink and towel bar and toilet paper holder.
I didn't get pictures of the hall or the craft/storage room, but there isn't much to see! Also, we finished out the storage closet up there and had a light put in to make it more usable. I'm really happy with all we did up there, but I am SO so glad it is over. It was quite a mess when it was being done.
I will share what we did with Carter's old nursery to turn it into baby sister's room next!









No comments:
Post a Comment