Sometimes, though, God gives you a big smack on the head and tells you to just believe. At our appointment, the ultrasound tech found the baby in seconds and found its heartbeat, at a steady 129 beats per minute! A perfectly healthy little heart! Once I heard the heartbeat, my eyes just welled up and I felt so much better! Why was I so silly making myself believe that there was no more baby?
We did get some bad news. The baby is measuring right at six weeks today, but the sac is only measuring around 4 weeks 6 days, so it is almost a week behind where it should be in proportion to the baby. Both the ultrasound tech and the nurse practitioner told us that this is something that happens sometimes, but it will sometimes catch up with the baby in a few weeks. It is just something we have to keep a close eye on so we can be sure all is okay. They said there is nothing we can do differently to help it, so I guess we just have to have another week of prayer. We will go back next Friday afternoon to check on it.
The spotting is also okay as long as it doesn't pick up and as long as I don't have any major cramping to go along with it. They said it happens in around 30% of pregnant women and is perfectly okay. I just have to keep an eye on it.
The nurse practitioner reassured us that hearing such a healthy strong heartbeat is a major hurdle that we have made it through, so we should be happy for that and just keep hoping that the sac evens out proportionally.
We have decided to go ahead and tell our parents now that we have heard the heartbeat and have ultrasound pictures to show them. We want them to know so we can send extra prayers up and so we can have a support system from here on out. I told Brent he did wonderfully through this past week, keeping the faith and helping calm me down, but that I just needed someone who had been through everything before to talk to as well. I wish I had a picture of his face when that heartbeat showed up! Nothing can describe how happy he was. He is going to be such a great daddy!


No comments:
Post a Comment