I have had this post in the drafts for awhile now, but I figure it's time to share what I did to personalize my space at work. Our office moved back in the summer, and I wanted to make it a little more "me" since I spend so much time in there. And I don't even want to think about it, but tax season will be upon us in a couple of weeks and I will be spending even more time in there.
My boss picked out the landscape picture from Kirkland's, so I centered my ideas around that. I also wanted something a little more feminine and fun than I could really use at home, so I ended up with my sights set on using lime green and navy and fun patterns. But then I ran into the problem that pretty much nothing you can buy is lime green and navy.
I took it upon myself to do a few projects and just make the things I was envisioning in my head. My thoughts kept coming back to a bulletin board to display current/favorite pictures on and anything I needed to remember. I ended up finding a picture in a frame at a thrift store for around $5, taking out the glass and picture, and applying a sticky cork sheet to the back part of the frame. I believe I did two layers so it was plenty thick so the pins wouldn't push through to the wall. Then I covered the cork with a pretty fabric and spray painted my frame. I reassembled and "ta-da", a custom bulletin board.
Another thing I wanted was a pretty lamp. I searched for one pre-made, but could not find one for a reasonable price. So I purchased a lamp base from the thrift store for less than $5 and spray painted it lime green. Then, I found the correct sized shade at Lowe's (I couldn't find something that looked like a good fit at the thrift store) and followed this tutorial I found on Pinterest to cover the shade with a pretty navy chevron fabric. I have to admit I love the look of it, but it still doesn't even have a light bulb in it, months later!! It's just there for looks! :)
Other than this, I just ordered a pretty canvas that was one of my favorites of our little family, found a shelf for the small space to the side of my desk at the thrift store and gave it a fresh coat of white spray paint, found a pretty frame from Hobby Lobby for my little man's picture,and modge podge'd a "W" with some green chevron paper.
I also finally gave my poor CPA license and my AICPA membership certificate a frame. You can't find navy certificate frames (at least I couldn't!), so I just purchased black ones and gave them along with the one I already had my college degree in a coat of navy spray paint. I was worried that you would be able to tell, but they really turned out perfect! I considered giving my clock a spray painting too, but then I decided I was either high on the fumes or a little too spray paint happy, and just left it alone! :)
Those shelves are soon to be full of W-2s and tax returns, but I'm going to enjoy my week off coming up and just not think about it!
*My apologies for the blurry iPhone pictures, I just couldn't make myself take my camera to work to photograph my office! :)







So funny that you have a thrifted lamp in your office space. I do too! Totally love the chevron lamp shade!
ReplyDeleteLooks so cute! Love the colors :)
ReplyDelete